Me and My Groupies

I am a stay at home mom to the 2 cutest groupies a cowgirl could ever wish for! My Hubby and I are and have been best friends for as long as I can remember and that makes for some good....:)~ Needless to say my family is the love of my life!

Monday, June 12, 2006

The stuff fairytales are made of!

(Long winded but oh so good)
When I was pregnant with my son 5 years ago, I blew up like a balloon. No matter how much water I drank, my body retained fluid like there was about to be a worldwide drought! My feet no longer fit into my tennis shoes, my face looked like a chipmunks and my hands were also tortured by swelling. I had to put my wedding rings away. It was a sad day. I waited months after I had Ben to try them on again. They still did not fit. I assumed I was permanently bigger and had them resized. They fit until I got pregnant again so I put them away and wore a different ring. Not a wedding ring but it was something to put on that finger. We came to call it my "fat ring."
After Juli I began to loose immense amounts of weight. And the rings were too big! But I was not about to resize them. I wore them a lot, but I also took them off a lot; some days they were so loose if I shook my hand they would come flying off. So in the shower and at bed time and during laundry and housework I would take them off; remembering always to wear them when I would leave. On day I misplaced them. Not a big shocker since they came off and on all day long. The were gone for months and I began to wonder if I would ever see them again. I couldn't believe that I had been so careless with them, so chose instead to believe that I had put them somewhere safe and forgot where. Turns out I was right! I found them months later down in the zipper pocket of an old diaper bag! I put them on right away and swore to be more careful. I guess I should have just shelled out the money to have them sized, because within a year they were gone again. This time I didn't worry much. They would turn up. I had proven myself responsible with them before, putting them safely in that old zipper pocket. After about 3 months when they didn't turn up on their own, I began searching. And searching...and searching. Nothing. At 4 months I began to worry and at 6 months I began to cry. About that same time a close friend of mine also lost her rings. She called and we fretted together. It helped me not feel so terrible, knowing that I wasn't the only horrible wife on the planet. Except as soon as her husband found out a week after her bands turned up missing, her took her straight to the jeweler and proceeded to replace them. Back to being alone and sad! We had no money to replace mines. And even if we had, I could not have gotten anything nearly as unique and special as my original set. Not only was the engagement a "one of a kind" but I designed the wedding band to go with it!
I tried to keep my hopes up thinking that the rings were sure to show up when we moved. But nothing...my SIL came to the rescue.
On New Years Eve (after asking my DH) my SIL "proposed" with a beautiful vintage wedding ring! At least to wear till we could replace my other ones, or buy it off her. But if I bought it off her I would still have to get a wedding band if I wanted a set. Her ring fit perfectly and looked totally BLING! But I was still sad over mine...they were irreplaceable and even engraved to match my husband's.
Before were sell our old house my husband is fixing it up. Painting and flooring and yard work was what I expected. But with the help of our friends he is replacing EVERYTHING with the promise that it will make us significantly more money when we sell. So the bathroom sink was ripped out! Along with the tub and the toilet and the cabinets and the stove!
In the bathroom some pipes had to be replaced. When they were pulled what should come tumbling out but my wedding band! John was shocked! And excited! But where was the engagement band? No doubt they had gone down together, but it wasn't there. There was one more pipe in the wall. It didn't need to be replaced but how could he NOT check. He ripped it out. Grit and grime and lots of nasty hair ball...AND ONE BEAUTIFUL ENGAGEMENT RING! He brought them home to me all black and caked with slime. They are not missing any diamonds and in need of nothing more than a good cleaning and polishing. To me they have NEVER looked more beautiful!
And they fit...for now anyway!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful story with a happy ending. It kind of reminds me of the Lucy episode where she loses her wedding ring trying to build a fire grill pit. She also finds her ring.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Osbasso said...

That's a great story! Nice to hear a happy one once in awhile!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home