Me and My Groupies

I am a stay at home mom to the 2 cutest groupies a cowgirl could ever wish for! My Hubby and I are and have been best friends for as long as I can remember and that makes for some good....:)~ Needless to say my family is the love of my life!

Friday, July 21, 2006

IN - LAWS

You never get the jokes about in-laws until you have some. In my case it's no joke...it's very serious, with many mind blowing, underlying issues and character traights that don't just blow over in...well...in a year.

DH's brother and SIL are coming into town this weekend with their two kids. The cousins are around the same ages as my kids and it has been thought from the beginning that they might like eachother and thus make a family get-together more enjoyable for everyone.
It was a nice thought and I think part of me still hangs on to it becasue of the closeness I had and still have with my cousins and my Aunt and Uncle. BUT in reality, if let myself admit it, the boys are too different to even play together and thus in consequence the girls haven't had much of a chance.
Anyway, my family is invited to the In-Laws house to visit with DH brother and kids this weekend. I got an e-mail...we are ALL invited. Hmmmm...I seem to remember that tragedy struck hard last time we all got together. And I haven't seen or spoken with the In-Laws in a year an a half! Yes, it was that bad and certainly justified...but way too dramatic for me to even try to explain. Those of you who know can only begin to understand. I can just say that NO ONE on this planet ought to EVER over-ride my authority over my kids in front of me again! Unless for good reason of course (though I really can't thihnk of one). And oddly enough I have never had a problem with anyone in any of my distant or close family the way I did with DH's parents. And so I stay away. Actually it is the smart choice given the situation. Not that I haven't forgiven them...I actually feel sorry for them that they have made things this way. But some attitudes are intolerable and if I can't change them then I stay away.
Any problems with your in-laws? Or even you parents? How did you handle them? Am I the only one who never speaks with their children's grandma and grandpa anymore?

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin M said...

you know we have troubles

but they live 4 minutes away... actually 1 trouble DH's dad is dandy.. it's his wife that is trouble

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home