Me and My Groupies

I am a stay at home mom to the 2 cutest groupies a cowgirl could ever wish for! My Hubby and I are and have been best friends for as long as I can remember and that makes for some good....:)~ Needless to say my family is the love of my life!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006




I have been thinking of the panda lately. First of all let me explain my train of thought because I don't expect you to get there on your own! Yesterday, around lunchtime of course, we passed a Panda Express. It is one of the better Chinese Fast food restaurants in our area. But it was still under construction. It made me want some lo mein pretty bad! Anyway the panda on the sign made me remember how much I like panda bears, not something I think about very often. I remember a story from my childhood about the panda's mask and why it is black around their eyes. I shared the story with my DH and another friend. They had never heard the legend and of course I began to think I was crazy. Maybe it was a dream. But I found the story this morning and would like to share it. It is a sad but beautiful story. One that makes you want to believe it really happened.

The legend begins with the panda as a totally white bear.
A young panda cub lost in his impish curiosity wanders away from his mother. But without her he had no protection.
The glowing eyes of a leopard watched him from the bush.
As he tumbled along in the weeds a young shepherd girl happened upon him. She knew that seeing a panda meant good fortune and blessings on her for the rest of her life. So she stopped and called to him.
As she reached out to touch him the leopard came leaping from the bush angry that another had tried to take his meal. The shepherd girl used her bamboo staff to strike the leopard over and over. The leopard was not hurt and turned on the girl. She lost her life in the struggle. The panda cub made his escape, but he knew he had the shepherd girl to thank for his life.
All the pandas held a special funeral in honor of the young girl and wore black armbands as a sign of their mourning. Their tears dripped onto the bands and the black dye began to run. When they wiped their eyes, it left black rings. When they hugged each other in comfort, it left spots on their backs. When they covered their ears to block out the sound of sadness, it colored their ears black.
Today the Giant Panda is a symbol of peace in China. It is said that during wartime the pandas mourn and do not eat, and during times of peace they flourish.
See? Didn't I say you would like it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home